We are committed to providing affordable adoptions and guardianships for the Tri-County area.  At Goetting Corrado Law Group, PC, we can assist you with the following:
  • Direct Placement Adoptions (Private adoptions)
  • Relative Adoptions
  • Step-Parent Adoptions
  • Interstate Compact Adoptions (ICPC)
  • Safe Haven Adoptions
  • Immigration of an International Adoptee
  • Guardianship
  • Termination of Parental Rights
  • Power of Attorney

Adoption Facts

Q: Is a homestudy required?

A:        For step-parent and relative adoptions, a homestudy by a licensed professional is NOT required.  For direct placement and non-relative adoptions, the courts require an extensive homestudy to be completed by a professional licensed with the State of Michigan.

Q: What are the requirements for a step-parent adoption?

A:         The mother or father wishing to file for a step-parent adoption must now have sole legal of the minor child prior to the adoption.  Also, he or she must be married to the step-parent for at least six months before they can file the petition.

Q: What is the law to terminate parental rights?

A:     The non-custodial parent must have failed to regularly communicate with the minor child for at least two years prior to filing and have failed to substantially and regularly pay child support for at least two years if there is a child support order in place.  If there is no child support order in place, then the non-custodial parent, having the ability to support the child, must have failed to substantially and regularly support the child.

Q: Can the non-custodial parent consent to the adoption?

A:    If the non-custodial parent agrees to the adoption and termination of his or her rights, then a brief hearing would be held in which he or she would provide testimony acknowledging his or her consent to the adoption.

Q: Does the child have to consent to the adoption?

A:  If the child is 14 years or older, he or she must provide his or her consent to the adoption at a consent hearing.

Q: Can I change my child's name?

A:  When the adoption is finalized a new birth certificate will be issued with the new parent’s name listed on it.  The child’s name can legal be changed for free with the Adoption Order and would be also be included on the new birth certificate.


43120 Utica Road, Ste 200

Sterling Heights, MI  48314